Today on F+T we're talking about boobs. Mel Fallowfield's boobs to be precise. It's been a hot summer with record temperatures (2022). Mel Fallowfield is a writer and sun lover, age 49. She enjoys nothing more than sitting in her garden. Naked. She has no problems stripping off in her garden in full view of her neighbours.

"It's famously said there are two certainties in life - that we will pay tax and we will die."


The weather heats up and Mel strips down, topless sunbathing.



She first started stripping off her bikinis in the heat during a holiday 32 years ago.


"I'll add another one, when the sun comes out so do my boobs!"

"Our first stop was Nice, south france and the beach was filled with beautiful french women, insouciantly strolling along with their boobs on show, to me they were the height of sophistication and I wanted to be just like them."

"Within an hour me and my two girl friends had whipped off our bikini tops and joined the topless crowd." 

"No one was staring at us and by the end of the day my breasts were turning a gentle golden brown."

"It set up a habit of a lifetime."

"It’s liberating and they end up looking nicer, rather than if you’re still wearing a bikini when you’re naked!"

"So now wherever I go (unless I’d get arrested) I sunbathe topless. And that includes in my garden, which as I live in terraced street in London is overlooked."

People's reactions have varied. 

"My neighbour who lives upstairs has never said anything to me but I do notice that he pulls down the blind in his kitchen when I’m outside topless. So I’m guessing he doesn’t approve – but I don’t feel remotely guilty."

"I think it’s overdramatic, after all he doesn’t have to look out of the window, and though my boobs are 36D they aren’t so huge that you couldn’t avert your eyes and look elsewhere!"

Her neighbour to the left isn't supportive either. 

"Her husband was building a shed in their garden during the first boiling hot covid summer and she told me that he found it stressful as he worried that he couldn’t help but look at my breasts when it was time to work on the roof." 

Mel said she pretended that she didn’t realise that her neighbour was clearly hinting that she should cover up her boobs. Mel says; "I laughed it off! Mostly because I simply don’t see the big deal – it’s just a pair of boobs and most women have them in some shape or form."

She defends her right to be topless on her own property. "I’m not parading down the street waving them around for all and sundry." 

"I do accept there’s a time and a place for it, but I can’t see why my private garden isn’t one of those places, just like the beach."

Mel says her sons were fine with it until they reached the teenage years, "now they tell me that I’m embarrassing – but they find everything I do embarrassing so I can live with that!" 

Fortunately for Mel, not everyone disapproves with her topless sunbathing. She says her husband, Brian, is fine with it! She also describes her neighbour on the right as "the coolest woman on earth"  

"She’s in her 60s and spent time on Greenham Common in the 1980s where women set up camp protesting against nuclear weapons and were often topless. She’s seen pretty much everything in her time. She always laughs and jokes that it’s nice for her husband to be able to admire the view."

So during this gorgeously hot weather, whenever she's not working, you’ll find her in my garden, happily lying on a sun lounger wearing no more than a pair of bikini bottoms. 

"I’m yet to do a Heidi Klum who recently posted a picture of herself naked in her garden on Instagram."

While her neighbours get a full view, Mel says that most of them don't have a problem with her topless bathing

Do you think she's right to feel like she can do what she likes in her garden or should this kind of behaviour be made illegal? Do you know someone bathing in their garden topless this year? Thanks for reading F+T, stick around check out some of our other entertaining articles.